Thursday, February 27, 2014

The Digital Literacy Gap

As someone involved in education, I know that many preservice teachers are being taught how to foster digital literacy. I haven’t seen much discussion on increasing digital literacy post-education. However, Best Buy is changing that with their EveryoneOn training program update! What stands out to me about Best Buy’s program is just how inclusive it is. The article highlights that the crowd consisted of all ages, which is wonderful.
Intel is another force supporting the growth of digital literacy. They have a four programs, 3 of which are aimed at students while 1 is aimed at adult learners. I especially love the idea of The Intel Computer Clubhouse Network. It provides a safe place for kids to hang out while promoting education through access to technology
My hope would be that more and more companies see the need to support digital literacy as something separate from education or STEM. It is a community-wide issue and needs its own space in the CSR world.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the information. There is a missing link for your post-education. I am self-taught and still learning.

    ReplyDelete